Not everyone is aware of the possible health conditions poor posture could have on the body. There are so many conditions that starts with poor posture. Even a headache can be a sign of poor posture.
Common symptoms of poor posture can include:
- Rounded shoulders
- Bent knees when standing or walking
- Head that either leans forward or backward
- Back pain
- Body aches and pains
- Muscle fatigue
Let’s just break down one cause of poor posture – the anatomy of the head and neck to better understand how poor posture causes headaches. Your head, which connects to your cervical spine (neck), is balanced through a series of muscles, ligaments, tendons and receptors. In stillness or in motion they keep the head in a healthy position. Having poor posture, decreases the blood flow to the brain and might cause headaches. Many people suffer from headaches and if you’re one of them, you can attest to how much it can affect your daily life.
Improve your general posture to avoid postural conditions overall
- Remember the rule of ‘curve reversal’ – for example, if you’ve been leaning over your desk, stretch back the other way.
- Perform stretching exercises two or three times a week to boost muscle flexibility.
- Exercise regularly to improve muscle strength and tone.
- Stretch your neck muscles regularly by turning your head from one side to another.
- Your abdominal muscles support your lower back, so make sure they are in good condition. Do ‘abdominal crunches’ (lie on your back and curl your ribcage and pelvis as close together as possible) rather than straight-backed sit-ups (which exercise the muscles of the hips and thighs).
- Avoid standing on one foot for long periods of time.
- Cross your legs at the ankle, rather than the knee.
Chiropractic Adjustments can help correct poor posture, but even if you are working on it yourself it is important to get regular chiropractic care. Your chiropractor can adjust your spine, providing you with a much wider range of motion and better mobility. Your chiropractor can also recommend exercises for you and show you how to do them properly.
Back pain, neck pain and headaches are extremely common and can be very debilitating symptoms. They are also the primary reason patients seek chiropractic care, along with sports injuries and certain paediatric conditions. The distinguishing features of chiropractic care that have allowed for having patient and public acceptance has been the ability to provide a readily available, caring and sympathetic, low cost, low risk, non-invasive and natural healing approach to relieving symptoms of back pain, neck pain and certain types of headache.
Don’t let postural conditions get you down, make your appointment today at Centurion Chiropractor.
Centurion Chiropractor – Your Chiropractor of choice.