Shockwave treatment is a chiropractic treatment option for people who have chronic tendinopathies. These painful conditions could be as a result of sport, overuse or repetitive strain.
Shockwave therapy has shown to effectively treat the following conditions:
• Feet – heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis
• Elbow – tennis and golfers elbow
• Shoulder – calcific tendinosis of rotator cuff muscles
• Knee – patellar tendonitis
• Hip – bursitis
• Lower leg – shin splints
• Upper leg – Iliotibial band friction syndrome
• Back pain – lumbar and cervical spine regions and chronic muscular pain
Shockwave chiropractic treatment is usually done once a week for 3-6 weeks depending on the injury as well as how the patient responds to the treatment. The shockwave chiropractic treatment can cause mild discomfort for the duration of the treatment which usually lasts for only 4 – 5 minutes.
How does shockwave treatment work?
Shockwave therapy was originally developed in the late 1990’s to assist urologists treat kidney stones non-invasively. Now it is successfully used to aid in the treatment of many muscoskeletal conditions.
Shockwave therapy is delivered onto the skin that covers the affected area. This kind of therapy uses low sound or acoustic waves rather than electrical waves. When in need of shockwave treatment, your chiropractor will use a handheld device connected to a machine that compresses air, turning it into sound waves. The Chiropractor will apply some light pressure and move the device over the affected area.
Shockwave therapy is a safe and effective treatment option if provided for by a medical professional in a professional environment. But, as with any treatment option out there, there are certain cases where shockwave therapy isn’t advised:
• You have a nerve disorder
• You’re pregnant
• You’ve had any type of bone cancer
• You have metal pins or plates in the area that needs treatment.
• You have a blood clotting disorder and/or take blood thinning or anticoagulant medication such as asprin or warfarin.
When you are considering shockwave treatment after consulting with your chiropractor, you can look at the benefits of the treatment.
Some of the benefits of shockwave therapy treatment:
• Shockwave therapy has excellent cost/effectiveness ratio
• Non-invasive solution for chronic pain in your shoulder, back, heel, knee or elbow
• No anaesthesia required, no drugs
• Limited side effects
• Main fields of application: orthopaedics, rehabilitation, and sport medicine
• New research shows that it can have a positive effect on acute pain
Pain can be debilitating depriving you from you the joy life has to offer. With one of the best Chiropractors in Pretoria, Dr Jacques Bezuidenhout from Centurion Chiropractors by your side, you are bound to feel better in no time.
He is an Internationally Certified Chiropractic Sports Practitioner (ICCSP), which fits with his love of sport and treating sport’s people. He also has completed many postgraduate courses, including international paediatric courses.
Centurion Chiropractor – Our focus is to treat the whole person and most importantly keeping you functioning at your full potential.
Phone Centurion Chiropractor today for your appointment.